Author Topic: Sidewalk Astronomy - SATURDAY, SEPT 7  (Read 77 times)

Jonathan Sabin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sidewalk Astronomy - SATURDAY, SEPT 7
« on: September 03, 2019, 04:17:17 pm »
Local Group members won't need this level of detail... I'm just copying my post from FB for your info.

On the up-side, as I write this, the weather conditions for Saturday are looking fairly promising.  Too early to call a definitive "go-no-go", but I've definitely seen worse forecasts than this!  ;-)

The return of Sidewalk Astronomy!
Join us when we resume our events on September 7th!

I am pleased to announce the return of another great season of Sidewalk Astronomy events following our annual summer hiatus.

WEATHER PERMITTING, on Saturday, September 7th starting at 7:45 p.m., and continuing until at least 10:30 p.m., the members of the The Local Group of Deep Sky Observers will set up high-quality telescopes in the parking lot at the southeastern corner of Sarasota's Celery Fields Park.

Home to the Sarasota Audubon Society, located at 6893 Palmer Boulevard, Sarasota, parking will be available just west of the Nature Center building. The telescopes will be set up in the parking lot on the east side of the Nature Center. (Telescopes will NOT be set up at the top of the hill.)

Observing highlights that night will include spectacular views of the gorgeous ringed planet Saturn, as well as the giant planet Jupiter and the waxing gibbous moon. Other deep-sky wonders will also be observed as they become visible during the evening.

As always, Sidewalk Astronomy is free of charge and is open to people of all ages!

Hope to see you there!

Jonathan
Jonathan Sabin,
LGDSO President

Jonathan Sabin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sidewalk Astronomy - SATURDAY, SEPT 7 is a "GO"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 12:24:29 pm »
Good news!

I've checked several forecast sources and we are GO for tonight's astronomy event at the Celery Fields!

It appears that we'll be fairly clear at sunset, with the possibility of some high, thin clouds drifting in over the area between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. That said, I'm not expecting them to create much of a problem with regard to our ability to observe.

Hope to see you there!

Jonathan Sabin,
LGDSO President