Author Topic: Can Anyone Point Me to a Map to the Crowley Observing Site?  (Read 2425 times)

Allen Fenderson

• View Profile
Can Anyone Point Me to a Map to the Crowley Observing Site?
« on: March 28, 2020, 05:50:20 PM »
Hi

C an anyone point me to a Map to the Crowley Observing Site (within the site)?

I've searched a bit for the Crowley Observing site. Nothing so far. I can get to the Museum but where from there?  I'd like to drag my SCT next weekend there to practice my meager skills in dark skies. 

Allen Fenderson

Andy Pyatt

• View Profile
Re: Can Anyone Point Me to a Map to the Crowley Observing Site?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »
The grassy field/parking area for the museu is the observing site.  Gets pretty dark there relative to being in town. 

George B Grimm

• View Profile
    • Astronomy by George
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 10:12:17 PM »
Allen,

Your post is in the wrong section regarding Crowley.
All Crowley activity is in a section near the top. It is the third section down. There you can find who and when Crowley events occur. There is a gate lock. As luck would have it with the CV stuff occurring it's been slow out there lately. I am sure Sean will see you original post and respond also 

Sean McDonald

• I can see clearly now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:58:05 PM »
Hello Allen,
 I'm a bit late seeing this thread - anyway, the address for the observing field is 16405 Myakka Rd
Go East on Fruitville to the end, hang a right. It swerves around and the entrance is on the left side.  There is a log sign with a yellow sign. Not well marked.  If you cross a bridge, then you just went past it.
Gate may be locked. combo is 1974.  shut gate behind you, and drape the lock & chain to look locked while you are in there.
Be sure to lock it up when you leave, and leave no debris.

I may add, once you drive across the cattle tracks, hang a right. you will see an open field with a short power pole surrounded by concrete pads. That's the spot.  Drive on the grass. Park by the pads, avoid driving on the pads please. 

There's a restroom at the building within sight (the learning center) if needed.

Call me if you get turned around... 
Clear skies.
Sean
(941) 373-5611